Wild nature and rich artistic, historical and cultural heritage make Tuscany a destination able to satisfy the expectations of every kind of tourist.
From North to South, the region offers perfect destinations for those who love being outdoors but also destinations that allow you to discover the unique charm of palaces, medieval buildings and castles.
We have chosen a series of perfect locations for those who love unforgettable activities, adrenaline-filled experiences in Tuscany, activities that can make your holiday unforgettable.
Adventurous experiences in Tuscany
One of the main protagonists of Tuscany is nature. Pristine beaches, wild islands, crystal clear waters, dunes, pine forests and woods are the backdrop for excursions of all kinds.
Let’s find out the most exciting experiences to live in Tuscany:
- Bike tour in the Parco Regionale della Maremma:over 10,000 hectares of park between the towns of Principina a Mare and Orbetello offer many routes that are absolutely unmissable for bike lovers. Itineraries of different length and difficulty are available, where you can see nature, beaches, freshwater streams until you reach panoramic points with breathtaking views;
- Isola di Pianosa: the perfect place for those who want to switch off and venture into a wild location. The island is uninhabited and access is restricted to only 250 tourists at a time. Once here, we can admire the crystal clear water and white sand. A perfect place for those who love sports and practice trekking, snorkelling, kayaking, mountain biking;
- The Parco di Pinocchio in Collodi: in this small hamlet in the province of Pistoia, we can admire a park populated by characters from the famous novel, bronze and steel sculptures, gardening works;
- Boat excursions between Capraia and Montecristo: the best way to discover the hidden corners of the Tuscan Archipelago. With boat tours, we can admire incredible landscapes and environments with a high naturalistic value;
- The Ferriere suspension bridge: it is one of the longest suspension bridges in the world. It is located in the province of Pistoia, near San Marcello Piteglio. It is less than a metre and a half wide, 200 metres long and with a height of 40 metres from the ground. The walkway is made of steel and we can observe what is under our feet. It can be crossed in total safety both during the day and at night thanks to an excellent lighting system;
- Trekking along the Renaissance Ring: we can cover this itinerary on foot or by mountain bike. It winds for 180 kilometres and joins the road networks that once connected Florence with the surrounding countryside. The itineraries allow us to admire nature, ancient churches, monasteries, mills, as well as pass through woods and valleys.
Activities for couples in Tuscany
There is no shortage of experiences for two, pleasant and fun activities that can enhance a couple’s complicity:
- A swim in a natural Spa, at the Cascate del Mulino: an integral part of the Terme di Saturnia, the Cascate del Mulino are accessible 365 days a year, both day and night. They are located in the most famous free spa complex in Tuscany. Here, we can immerse ourselves in large limestone pools with water at a constant temperature of 37°C; a pleasant experience even in winter, beneficial thanks to waters rich in calcium and sulfur;
- Vallombrosa and the Abbey: a few kilometres from Florence, there is a location where you can stroll while admiring ancient monuments and fabulous nature. This is a nature reserve between the Casentino Valley and the Arno Valley. Don’t miss the Benedictine complex, the Abbey of the Vallombrosani Monks with its thousand-year history, the museum and the library;
- The ancient villas of Lucca: in the surroundings of Lucca, we can find palaces and summer residences built between the 15th and 19th centuries. Able to perfectly blend architecture and nature, they are true works of art with large halls with frescoes and statues, elegant gardens with fountains, pools and ponds. Don’t miss Villa Bernardini, Villa Grabau, Villa Oliva;
- The sword in the stone of the Abbey of San Galgano: legend and history meet between Massa Marittima and Siena. This abbey, which dates back to the 13th century, is a particularly suggestive complex of open-air ruins. Of the ancient building, only the walls and naves remain. Above, only the sky. In the hermitage consecrated to the saint we find a sword which, according to legend, Galgano himself stuck into the rock when he decided to give up the pleasures of worldly life;
- The Castle of Sammezzano: 30 km from Florence, here is an exotic architectural treasure, a residence commissioned by the Marquis Ferdinando Panciatichi Ximenes of Aragon. Unique and very original, it boasts colorful ceramic mosaics, stuccoes and internal bas-reliefs, arches, domes and Moorish-style elements capable of projecting us to various parts of the world, from the Middle East to Spain. Outside you can find the Historical Park, 65 hectares of greenery with plants from all over the world, including secular sequoias from North America;
- Tour in Bagno Vignoni: the hamlet of San Quirico d’Orcia is one of the most beautiful medieval villages in Tuscany and a romantic spa area. It is inhabited by only 30 people and its greatest peculiarity is the hot spa tub in the centre of the square which at certain times of the day creates a very light mist that gives unique atmospheres.