Unpaved Roads at Punta Ala is one of the most eagerly awaited events of the spring for all cycling enthusiasts.
On Saturday 22 and Sunday 23 April, there will be an event specially designed for fans of gravel roads, a short distance from The Sense Resort Experience.
The event is held over two days, as is customary for the Unpaved Roads format, which aims to offer special weekend events.
Saturday 22 April will be dedicated to registering participants and collecting the event package. A day full of opportunities to socialise thanks to the welcome aperitif, stands organised by the sponsors and raffle draw.
The most eagerly awaited moment of the Unpaved Road event in Tuscany is the one on Sunday 23 April, with the departure from Punta Ala and the option of choosing between the long and short route at the crossroads.
The long course covers 85 km with an altitude difference of 1,100 metres and 63 percent gravel. Average completion time: 7 hours.
The short course is 66 km long, with an altitude difference of 720 metres, 58 percent gravel, and average completion time of 5 hours.
Anyone wishing to cycle can also do so on Saturday,because Unpaved Roads also includes a bonus route.
The route on Sunday 23 April will take in:
- Cala Violina: one of the most beautiful beaches in Maremma, with white sand, crystal-clear sea and unspoilt nature. It is situated between Follonica and Punta Ala, in the Natural Reserve of Bandite di Scarlino. The beach consists of tiny grains of quartz that when trodden on make a sound like a violin. Hence the name Cala Violina (“Violin Cove”). The beach is lapped by crystal-clear waters;
- Castiglione della Pescaia: a picturesque fishing village perched on a promontory along the Maremma coast. There are many places of interest: the Aragonese castle, defensive walls, towers, beaches, green areas with pine forests, and the Mediterranean maquis;
- Diaccia Botrona Natural Reserve: one of the most important lake areas in the region where numerous species of birds, including the Pink Flamingo, spend the winter, stop over to rest or nest.
There will be two refreshment stations on the long route and one on the short route. Final refreshment station at the finishing line for all participants. All the participants will be fitted with a GPS tracker for the long and short routes. This will allow you to follow the route correctly with your own GPS device or smartphone application.
Unpaved Roads will take you on a journey of discovery along one of the most beautiful and striking stretches of the Tuscan coastline, with breath-taking landscapes, alternating the blue of the sea with the green of the Mediterranean maquis. During the ride, you will get the chance to see ancient villages, the crystal-clear sea, bays, headlands and pristine beaches.
All in the usual Unpaved Roads style – a project that aims to promote the marvels of Italian regions and highlight them through unique routes, studied down to the smallest detail.
Unpaved Roads Italy, discovering the local area
The philosophy of Unpaved Roads is based on a love for the land, a passion for cycling, respect for the environment and much more. Because The Sense Resort Experience also aims to achieve this through bike experiences that will delight cycling fans and non-fans alike. The hotel also provides guests with bicycles for short trips and unforgettable outdoor experiences.
The bike experiences organised by The Sense include:
- Cala Violina: an excursion to discover the beaches of the Golfo del Sole with a route that follows the ancient bridle path all the way to the most beautiful viewpoint of the Tuscan Archipelago, from where you can look out to the islands of Cerboli, Elba and Palmaiola. The route is about 40 km long and passes through the typical woods on the Maremma coastline. Participants are divided into groups with a minimum of 4 and maximum of 15 people;
- Beaches by bike: relaxation, fun, food and leisure all rolled into one single experience. This route takes you to the most beautiful beaches in Maremma, along the ancient Cavalleggeri trail that once joined the defence system of the Grand Duchy of Tuscany. You will pass by Cala Marina, where, in September 1849, Giuseppe Garibaldi set sail to avoid capture. During the ride, we will stop at the beach for a swim, have a drink at the Cala Felice Beach Club and enjoy the beautiful coastal views;
- Food & Bike: 35km along the country roads and woodland trials of Maremma. You will discover the village of Buriano, the Hermitage of San Guglielmo di Malavalle (with an amazing viewpoint), the Biotodo organic farm with an opportunity to taste home-produced meat and typical products;
- Wine & Bike: a 35km ride in the Maremma countryside to reach a farm where there will be a guided tour of the vineyards and a tasting session of organic wine and typical local products.
Unpaved Roads, how to enjoy the event to the fullest
Unpaved Roads is one of the most eagerly awaited gravel road events for cycling enthusiasts. The best way to enjoy the event to the fullest is to stay at a hotel within a short distance of the event locations on 22-23 April. The Sense Experience Resort is just over 20 km from Punta Ala, which can be reached by bike with a lovely ride that alternates between the coastline and inland tracts.
The hotel can also act as a great base for upcoming Unpaved Roads events:
- Unpaved Roads Chianti, with Volterra: 20-21 May, 2023;
- Unpaved Roads Casentinesi Forests: 16-17 September 2023.
Guests can stay in comfortable, elegant suites with a view over the Gulf of Follonica. The six types of rooms measure between 20 and 29 square metres and are designed in a contemporary style. The seven different suites are designed for guests who want an even more unique and unforgettable experience. Solutions up to a maximum of 46 square metres and with a Jacuzzi in the room. The resort is right by the sea and has a swimming pool, car and restaurants.